February 2018 Week #1

We are almost done with basic NPC behaviour, and are getting as close as ever with the 3D models which are gonna be required for the prototype city. We have, eh, also reintroduced a thing or two.


ADITYA CHANDRA (Lead Developer)

I was crying last week trying to somehow get around the longest and the most badass chain of bugs I had ever encountered, so there wasn't any devblog post last week; but my hardwork, tears and how I slammed my keyboard hard onto my head, bore fruit, and now I know for sure that I'm the only guy in the world who has made an open-world game with blocky blue/orange NPCs with cute animations who can enter, exit, sit in and drive a white dune buggy.

So yeah, the NPC+car system is done, and apart from a few bugs which are needed to be fixed I don't want to work on it anymore for the next few weeks.


The NPCs can now exit cars and enter as passengers. They will exit the car if the player exits the same car, or if they have reached their destination, or if the player wants to enter the car as the same seat as that NPC. All references have been taken care of.

And this process was long.

Next I did the VFX and SFX for the NPCs at last. The weapons now have a nice muzzle flash effect and a bang sound. There is also a slight recoil visible, present in the form of an animation; and I'm looking into adding smoke later.


Also, um, I reintroduced the third-person character. I'll do the first-person later.

Next I want the NPCs and their weapons to rotate verticlly. Right now the NPCs can't attack enemies unless they're not on the same level, and they can't even do anything if the enemy is just prone, so that needs to be fixed. Also, NPCs should be able to shoot from vehicles, and they should also be able to be shot while inside vehicles.

This is my current to-do list. Next week will be big.

Big.

DIWANGSHU KAKOTY (3D Artist)

I'm slowly clearing everything out of my huge to-do list of models to make for our big prototype. This week I made a tree, and then I made a jeep, best 3D model I've ever created yet (or perhaps it stands shoulder-to-shouldet with some of the sportscars I have made... remember that Bugatti?).


I have rocked this armoured jeep.



Next I'll make a big fat turret for it and also some more city models. My progress will slow down as my exams approach, though. But I'll still give the turret a try.


That was all for these weeks. From next week, the countdown to the release of the prototype will begin. It's getting close, people. Brace yourselves.

Comments