December 2018 Week #5

We progressed with the NPCs and finally completed the equipment systems, and made awesome dynamites to demonstrate the latter.


ADITYA CHANDRA (Lead Developer)

I completed the equipment system!
What does that mean?
It means now you can pick up, equip and drop/throw nearly any object you come across. This is something I wanted a lot in the final game, just because the idea seems extremely cool. I came up with another cool idea to demonstrate this: a freakin' dynamite. So this is how it is: you go to a dynamite, you pick it up just like you'd do with any other interactable that can be picked up, you go to the inventory and equip it by clicking on its slot (just like the weapons) and then you go anywhere and drop it by clicking the left-mouse button.


To make it go boom, you simply fire on it, once. The dynamite will explode, play some nice VFX/SFX, deal damage to any nearby objects and apply a huge force to them 0.05 seconds later.


Also, I worked a lot on the NPCs as well. I decided to focus on friendlies first, and I picture a completed version of them to be stupid keen-to-help idiots, to an extent like the scientists from Half-Life. I want them to have them to follow you, open doors for you, kill bad guys for you, die a gruesome death for you, and all that awesome stuff.

The main thing I got done in the last weeks though was setting up the navigation-mesh and having the NPCs to follow you. I couldn't get in animations or textures yet, but we'll get to that part. Functionality is definitely more important.


And to conclude, below is a cool playtest recording. Watch it. The ending is epic.


DIWANGSHU KAKOTY (3D Artist)

Last week we decided that almost all the models we need to put together a prototype are basically done, except for some props for the city. So I began work on it.

I started with street-lights. This week I'll make fences and then the next thing that comes to my mind when I sit down with hot chocolate and picture a city.





That's it for this week, people. In the next weeks we'll work on city models and some advanced A.I., possibly with textures and animations, at last! Also, there won't be any devblog posts for the next two weeks because of Aditya's exams, sorry for that. Happy new year!

Comments