December 2018 Week #3

We managed to get our cars up and running, plus also some really basic A.I. for use as a base for going ahead.


ADITYA CHANDRA (Lead Developer)

Sorry once again for missing another week... this time I had a math olympiad thingy. Don't worry as I won't be having any more olympiad thingies until February now. Also, it's Tuesday today, 'cause my router was down yesterday. So now straight to the progress...

I got the cars done this week. They can be properly entered, exited and most importantly driven. The car is an interactable. They have a proper rigidbody unlike the player and they're mostly based on Unity's standard car except I did a refactor on the wheels and tweaked around with the motor.


By the way I'm using the buggy D.K. sent for getting the functionality done, without focusing on texturing this time.

The wheels are all separate objects as children of the car and they turn and rotate with the car's movement. The wheels are destructible. If you shoot at 'em, they'll poof and the car will become slower and less stable. The more wheels are lost, the more difficult controlling the car will become. If you lose more than 2 wheels, the car will become inoperable. A big heavy useless rigidbody.


If the car takes damage (in the form of gunshots, explosions and/or force) and the H.P. goes 0, then the car goes boom: explosion VFX/SFX, a tremendous upward force ('cause it looks cool) and a slight torque so that the car rotates slightly mid-air, after some friends recommended it. Also, the car ceases to be interactable and all wheels are destroyed.


As I progress, I want to have the car collide with the characters so that they are displaced (since characters use the irritating character-controllers), have the car trunk as a usable chest-styled inventory and have the characters enter as passengers. I also want people to be able to hit people in cars from outside (which is a bit high priority), but the stuff I've already implemented are all the basics I wanted to see complete.

Here's the playtest recording anyways:


I've been working on A.I. for the past 5 days, but it hasn't been intense because of the exam I told you guys about, which just ended. By next week, I wanna see basic friendly and hostile NPCs dancing around in the scene possibly with textures and animations. :D


DIWANGSHU KAKOTY (3D Artist)

I got a lot of stuff done. Last week after a game-design meeting we decided if we're going with an inventory approach, we'll essentially need to have some sort of chest or locker to store our stuff in. I hate 'chests'. I made a safe... or locker... or whatever the heck this is:


It's low-poly, goes with the flow with the style of other models, and the door and body are separate objects. After that, I made some models that're supposed to be used as debris. They'll spawn when something breaks or explodes in our destructible world. For the prototype I just made a hundred variations of 3D'd polygons:


And for the highlight of the weeks, a replica of an insane BUGATTI:


That was it for this week. For next week I'm looking into some props for the world-building. I did make some city components but I've decided to start from scratch, maybe because they don't quite go along with each other. Wish me luck.


Thanks for dropping by. Let's try to have some A.I. progress by next week, plus some awesome world props for making our lives easier. So until next time, cheers.

Comments